Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Facing Microaggressions and My Hopes for my Future

Microaggressions

       What is a microaggression? A microaggression is a brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral, or environmental indignity, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicates a hostile, derogatory, or negative slight or insult toward people of non-dominant identities. Usually, microaggressions focus on physical characteristics of a person but can also focus on sexual orientation, religious beliefs, class and more. The following microaggessions are just a few examples I personally connect with.






As a woman, the double standard that exists between men and women in the work force is very unsettling. This example just goes to show that discrimination against hiring women still exists. It is frustrating because a man getting married is no different than a woman getting married yet it can be viewed by others to be negative when it should be viewed as a wonderful life event. 
As women, we give life to other human beings and I'm sure it is a beautiful experience. However, currently, I do not see myself as having children. It would have to take a wonderful man to convince me to have my own children, I suppose. To think that not having children would label me as psychotic is disgusting. It is okay for men to wish to not to have kids, yet for women it is "unnatural", selfish and just plain crazy. It is my body and I will do what I wish with it. If I do not wish to have children of my own or have any at all, I would prefer to not be chastised by others for deciding so.  

This microaggression is offensive on many levels. It insinuates that being a minority means that you grow up poor and have experienced traumatic events such as rape. This must be one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard or read; to think that the person who said this was applying for med school in hopes of being a doctor is appalling. I know many minorities who have had success in their lives or are on the road to success. While it is true that some people of color are not as financially well off or have experienced traumatic events in their lives, it is completely wrong to assume these things based on appearance.


18 Chances You Will Not Regret Taking In Life 

      Written by Marc Chernoff, the eighteen chances he lists are all very empowering and beautiful ideas. There are a few that I feel I have taken such as: bouncing back after failure or rejection, smiling anyway (even after rejection), and being sincerely kind to everyone. There are a few that I am currently working on but would love to fully accomplish. The two chances I think I need to work towards are: believing in my own abilities and taking a step forward today. I often second guess myself and my abilities, which can be nerve racking for me, especially after job interviews or applying for opportunities at school. However, with the help and encouragement of others, I am beginning to trust myself and believe in my own abilities more and more. Taking steps forward today means living in the now and enjoying it rather than letting time slide through your fingers. This is something I think everyone needs to work on, including myself. People are always on the go, never realizing the beauty and life they have in front of them. While I do try to make time to appreciate the fresh air and nice weather, I do not spend nearly enough time enjoying the now. I am constantly worried about what I need to do next, whether it means reading for class, heading to work, or working on homework. I would like to spend more time simply recognizing the little joys in each day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment