Transforming the Meaning of Privilege
Article: Privilege, Allyship & Safe Spaces
Transforming the meaning of privilege is vital if we want to impact society. Usually when people think of the word "privilege", they imagine someone who has many opportunities available to them, more than most others. Usually people imagine someone who is not of color, someone who is wealthy. However, those who are privileged have the chance to take the power and question the society we live in, in hopes of change. Through allyship, those who are privileged have the opportunity to raise awareness of our current situations, educate, and take action. When I see those who are privileged wanting to change the unfair social favoritism that is in their favor, I see selflessness in their actions and will. The most immediate example of one who was considered privileged who helped those less privileged is Abraham Lincoln. He was a white man, already giving him privilege at the time, but was also the President, giving Lincoln even more privilege. As someone with so much privilege, Lincoln could have scoffed and turned his back to the unfair conditions imposed upon slaves. Yet, he realized his influence in society and chose to act in the favor of slaves, who had little to no privilege in society.
Privilege, allyship, and safe spaces are all important to reflect upon as a leader. Reflecting upon these ideas are key when interacting and understanding others. Allyship involves banding together as a single entity to make change. However, allyship cannot truly take place without safe spaces. I am a huge fan of safe spaces. I believe that everyone needs a safe space where they can simply be themselves. For someone who does find it difficult to truly be them self around others, safe spaces allow me to behave without fear of judgement and open the door for more serious conversations about inconsistencies in society. Furthermore, I have personally found safe spaces to be great places for me to find emotional support as well. Therefore, whenever a safe space can be offered it definitely should be put into action, especially for youth who need the most encouragement of all.
E-Portfolio Feedback
I am extremely glad that we had an informational session on e-portfolios! I feel like I have a better grasp of what the purpose of an e-portfolio is for and will likely utilize it in the future for professional uses as a way to allow employers a better insight of who I am as a person. I am still slightly confused when it comes to the formatting of it all but I know this will come with more practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment